Sunday, October 12, 2008

Making Change, NOW


I believe that children are our future.
Teach them well and let them lead the way.
Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

I remember the first few lines in the song The Greatest Love of All sung by Whitney Houston in the 80's when I learned about a 12 year old boy, who is currently the youngest ambassador of UNICEF, Bilaal Rajan. I was really touched by his story and even made me contemplate what am I doing then when I was his age. Definitely, I was not doing even a quarter of what he has achieved now.
He has already raised over $5 million these past eight years for various causes . In his tender years, he has not only shown his passion to inspire children of no hope but has put into action what he stands for and he did made a difference.

More so, he has written a book “Making Change: Tips from an Underage Overachiever” that I believe would help largely in spreading his goodwill not only to children but to everybody, regardless of age. All parents out there can initiate this by reading this book and let your kids be inspired by story of Bilaal Rajan.

His goal to inspire one million kids in the next three years to maximize their true potential and get involved in creating a better world is a selfless one. He encourages us to make change NOW.

Well, if we think about it, if everyone would initiate change, even a simple or small one, that is, for good, this would snowball into a big change for everyone to enjoy. And besides, CHANGE is the only permanent thing in this world.